Monday, April 6, 2009

Back

So I've been relatively quiet on here, but I've been posting sporadically on my Facebook notes section and I've decided to go ahead and bring those notes over here, so over the next week or so I intend to get the two synced up and then post on both when I feel like writing. The first one was titled Simple Things:

Simplicity...why is this such a complex thing to achieve these days? My community group is going through a series called Simple. It covers the concept of Christianity as a simple thing. And it really is when you get down to it, but we as people like to complicate things. I was reading C.S. Lewis last night and he was comparing the Law of Human Nature (or morality) to mathematics and that 2+2=4. But in my brain, I immediately went to the fact that 2+2 can equal 5 for large values of 2. This got me to thinking, is our pursuit of academic knowledge simply a way for us to make ourselves feel more important because we 'understand' something in a more complex fashion? Yet the basest truths in life are often so simple.

I am a relatively intelligent person and I struggle sometimes with just accepting things for what they are. My brain wants to complicate things with knowledge that I've gained through reading philosophers and theologians. Why can I not just enjoy the simplicity of the Gospel and be secure in that? Why do I feel the need to become more intelligent for the simple fact of being more intelligent when I know all it will do is complicate my thinking? Sometimes I wish I could erase this thirst and the knowledge I've gained and just start fresh...be like a child again.

No comments: