Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Another Stage in this Journey

Life.....
If there's anything I've learned about it over the last month and a half, it is that very few things are permanent or absolute. People come in and out of your life like a breath of wind. And then there are those people who you didn't really know cared so deeply until they see you hurting. For those of you who may read this and don't know, I am going through a divorce. I hold no ill will or feelings towards Sarah and I honestly hope that she can find joy and happiness in this life.

To walk into your home and suddenly have a portion of your identity just torn from you is a very powerful blow. I never truly realized how much of myself was wrapped up in caring for Sarah, even though I may not have always done it perfectly. I would imagine it would be like going to sleep being able to see and then waking up blind. I obviously don't know what that is like personally but it's the best comparison that I could think of without making light of the situation. In the time of the Romans, sailors would throw four anchors off each side of the boat during storms to keep it steady. The anchors would allow the boat to ride with the waves rather than against them. While I know that I can survive, Sarah had become one of those anchors for me and it was like having it just abruptly cut. My boat has been weathering the storm, tossed by the waves, but I am still alive.

I have to thank the people that have stepped up beside me over the last month to help anchor me down and give guidance when it was needed: Beth and Eric, Michael Bayne, Brandon Trull, Jonathan Jeans, Ron, Betty, Bryce and Erinne, and Meg. All of you guys have poured so much love and compassion into me that I can still stand strong in the middle of this. Thank you again.

No comments: